Monday, November 30, 2009

December already?

And so it goes. Winter is rapidly approaching in time frame, yet not quite in the air. Hardly brisk, tomorrow comes December 1, and I've yet to pull out my down coat, or my heavy-weight hat-scarf-mitten sets. What happens when its December but winter has not yet arrived? The rows of Christmas trees tied up at the Chelsea "playground" (the street plaza out front) makes it difficult for the students to lounge and linger there now, despite the sunshine that begs for their company. As I walk around the classroom, I lean in to converse with some of my favorite students, and ask about their holiday. (It was just Thanksgiving break last week.) Once our conversation is flowing, I interrupt their thoughts with a new one- how does culture play a role at Chelsea? Most are puzzled by my question- some others answer quite abruptly. After all, how does culture play a role in my life? How should culture influence art? Does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment